Anegosexuality (also known as aegosexuality) is a sexual orientation under the spectrum of asexuality. Like other asexuals, people that are anegosexual are lacking desire to be a participant in sexual activities themselves, but their specificity is that they may have sexual fantasies at times, despite feeling a disconnect between themselves and a sexual target/object of arousal.
Etymoligy: Anegosexuality - a (not) + (n) + ego (self) = anego - without self; therefore literally meaning sexuality without self.
Anegosexuality used to be called autochorissexuality. The term was coined by Dr. Anthony F. Bogaert and it derived from ‘autochoris’ which translates to 'identity-less sexuality’. However, the name was changed due to the fact that Dr. Bogaert categorized it as a "paraphilia;" it was later confirmed that it is not.
It is a subset of asexuality which is defined as: a disconnect between oneself and a sexual target/object of arousal; may involve sexual fantasies or arousal in response to erotica or pornography, but lacks desire to be an actual participant in the sexual activities therein.
Anegosexuals are known to:
- Get aroused by sexual content (at times) but not actually want to personally engage in sexual activities.
- Masturbate, but feel neutral or repulsed by the idea of having sex with another person.
- Fantasize about sex (with varying frequency), but envision people other than themselves, and/or view it in third person, as though they are watching it on TV, rather than imagining it in first person through their own eyes.
- Predominantly or entirely fantasize about fictional characters or celebrities, rather than people in real life that they know.
- Identify as asexual and feel little-to-no sexual attraction to people but enjoy masturbating (with varying frequency), are aroused by sexually explicit content, and/or have sexual fantasies.
What It Feels Like
Being anegosexual is like getting aroused at the idea of sex, but never wanting to engage in sexual acts yourself. It is like watching a sport and enjoying watching it, but feeling you would never play it yourself.